Thursday, July 2, 2009

Remedies to the Why-am-I-so-crazy? Wonders


"How is it with your soul?" ask the United Methodists with a zeal peerless in these often glum twenty-first century days. The perpetual inquiry of John Wesley at his small spiritual meetings centuries ago, I ask it of you today. Do you feel fulfilled? Do you feel you've barely begun to live, to grasp the meaning of existence, of your actions, beliefs, emotions, ambitions? Do you waver up and down, some days just wanting to give up? Fear no longer! A companion is here!

My mother discovered Susan Brackney's The Lost Soul Companion for me years ago, and I read it at the time she handed it on to me (so probably about time for a re-reading, huh?). A delightful little compilation of sound advice, quirky ideas, and general creative revelry! I recommend it highly to "free spirits" and those looking for "comfort and constructive advice" in general, in other words, "lost" souls of both kinds, those down on their cheeriness, happiness, or fulfillment luck, and those diving down in the dumpsters.

In this book, I discovered a technique for concocting home-made snow globes, using epoxy (eww!) and old jars (yay!); a handful of microwave recipes I never got around to using; snazzy advice on improving one's social life, ability to socialize, and relationships in general (ask questions, listen, talk less - advice which I've doled out a lot lately for other reasons); my interest in attending Burning Man (which only grew more incendiary after I experienced a miniature version during the talent show at the conclusion of my introductory course on natural building in Brazil four years ago); many uplifting, encouraging, inspiring words on creativity and fulfillment (some areas of rumination dear to me!); two little, disoriented birds, and many other zany drawings and heartening words.

This book has quite a spunky feel to it. Check it out if you've had the hopelessness blues or the why-am-I-so-crazy? wonders lately...or just for a relaxing kick. (She suggests purchasing the book from an "indie store," your local bookseller, which I also support, or for those in need of instant gratification, she says, using the big box and online stores, but I'd suggest that eager readers check out Alibris, the compendium of used booksales online, instead. Turning to your library or a book-swapping site or system doesn't hurt, either.) You can also drop by Susan's website, which features excerpts, resources, and her own blog (or apparently just use my links - got a little overzealous there! Ahem! I mean, O.C.D.. I could've kept going and hyperlinked the whole post! Double entendre on the hyper!). And if you're not feeling especially much like a lost soul, you can always check out Susan's other title on the topic, The Not-so-Lost Soul Companion: More Hope, Strength, and Strategies for Artists and Artists at Heart. I've set my sights on that one! Oh, ever expanding guilt-laden reading list!

No comments: